By the act of January 23, 1915, Benewah County was
erected from the southern part of Kootenai County and St. Maries was designated
as the county seat. The county is situated in the part of the state known as the
"Panhandle," and is bounded on the north by Kootenai County; on the east by
Shoshone; on the south by Latah; and on the west by the State of Washington.
Pursuant to the provisions of the act creating the county, Governor
Alexander appointed the following county officers, to take office on February
10, 1915, and serve until the next general election: John Skelton, Charles Wells
and J. L. Moran, commissioners; Charles W. Leaf, sheriff; W. T. Shepherd,
auditor and recorder; E. M. Davis, treasurer; C. R. Reynolds, assessor; Edward
Kolman, probate judge; L. E. Purvis, surveyor; C. J. Kinsolving, coroner; Edward
Elder, prosecuting attorney; Ruth E. Gerhart, superintendent of public
instruction.
Farming, fruit growing, lumbering, dairying and raising
poultry are the leading occupations. There are no large towns in the county, the
largest being St. Maries, the county seat; St. Joe, near the eastern boundary;
Fernwood, in the southeastern part; Plummer, on the main line of the Chicago,
Milwaukee & St. Paul R. R. in the western part; and Emida, Desmet and Sanders in
the southern portion are the others. The St. Joe River flows through the
northern part of the county and down the valley of this river runs the Chicago,
Milwaukee & St. Paul R. R., a branch of which leaves the main line at St. Maries
and runs up the valley of the St. Mary's River to Elk City, Clearwater County. A
line of the Oregon-Washington Railroad & Navigation Company runs across the
northwest corner, so that all parts of the county are provided with
transportation.
In the United States census for 1910 the population of
Benewah was included in Kootenai County. The assessed valuation of property in
1918 was $9,649,759.
The first settler of St. Maries was Joseph Fisher, who located there in 1888. The next year a sawmill was built by William, John and Jesse Fisher and the postoffice was established with Joseph Fisher as the first postmaster. Fred Grant bought the sawmill in 1891 and enlarged it, and about that time Joseph Fisher built the Mountain View Hotel. Other early settlers were James Nevins, R. B. Dickinson, F. G. Scott and C. F. Montandon. About 1899 the village began to grow and in 1902 it was incorporated. When Benewah County was created in 1915 St. Maries was made the county seat. The village is beautifully situated at the junction of the St. Joe and St .Mary's rivers and is well provided with transportation facilities by two divisions of the Chicago, Milwaukee & St. Paul Railroad, and by a line of steamers on the St. Joe River. It has two banks, two newspapers, waterworks and electric light, large lumbering interests, a public library, well-stocked stores, modern public schools, churches, etc., but its greatest charm is in its well-shaded streets and cozy homes. The population in 1910 was 869 and in 1918 it was estimated at 1,500.
Source: History of Idaho: The Gem of the Mountains, by James H. Hawley, published in 1920, Volume 1, pages 610-613, and 759, extracted 2021 Jun 26 by Norma Hass
Copyright © 1996- The USGenWeb® Project, IDGenWeb, Benewah County